Wednesday 18 January 2012

Heavy Metal New Blood Band Profile : IKILLYA


IKILLYA

Mansa Gory - Bass & Horns
Dave Kerr - Guitar
Jason Lekberg - Vocals

Straight out of New York City IKILLYA released their debut album "Recon" to much critical acclaim, including the Heavy Metal Bullet review here

The band have been around since 2005 and started under the name Wraith but after learning this was already taken a brainstorming session outside of rehearsal resulted in the new incarnation called IKILLYA. Vocalist Jason says "To me it personifies that beautiful moment when you resolve to make a change in life".  The band currently use two rotating drummers, Jeff Gretz (Zao/Austrian Death Machine) who recorded on the album and Matt Zebroski (Alex Skolnick Trio).

There influences are varied from bands like The Haunted, Lamb of God, Pantera, Gojira and Testament, to musical styles such as Jazz and Classical all the way to the melting pot that is New York City itself!
"We are all very inspired by the thought of combining things in ways that haven't been thought of" Jason
While the band never stop writing this year for them is all about touring and there are several opportunities to go and check them out:
Jan 28th @ Champs in Trenton, NJ
Feb 17th @ St Vitus, Greenpoint
Apr 14th @ Trash Bar, Brooklyn
They also plan to announce some UK and Ireland dates.

Vocalist Jason answered the Heavy Metal Bullet interview questions:
"He started dancing, badly, and then passed out in the middle of the stage" Jason
Heavy Metal Bullet (HMB): Would you consider yourself part of a specific genre and if so which one?
Jason Lekberg (JL): I would definitely say we are metal but I'm not sure where we fall beyond that. Some have said Thrash, and we definitely have those influences. Some have said hardcore, and we definitely have those influences. Some have said Metalcore but I don't really think that's justified. We're just metal.

HMB: What was the first Heavy Metal Album you bought?
JL: That's a tough question. I was into Rock before I was into Metal so I owned several albums that at the time were called "metal" but I don't know that I would say that now. I'd have to say the first proper metal album was probably Metallica "And Justice For All"


HMB: What was the last Heavy Metal Album you bought/downloaded?
JL: I just recently bought Alekhine's Gun new EP "Meditations in Wrath". It fucking KILLS!

HMB: Do you own any albums you would be embarrassed to tell a metal head you own?
JL: I'm not embarrassed about any of the albums I own but I'm sure there would be some people who would disapprove of some of my collection. I'm a big post-rock fan so I've got every album from bands like Sigur Ros and Portishead. Maybe that would fall there?

HMB: What's the strangest thing you have seen at a gig?
JL: One time a drunk bum stumbled up on stage and kept trying to take my mic. When I wouldn't give it to him he started dancing, badly, then passed out in the middle of the stage. That was rather random. Ha!

HMB: Any funny band related stories?
JL: When you're in a band with Mansa, there are plenty. One time right before we went on stage he and Dave went into a burrito place. I guess he didn't eat all of his so he had it in a to-go box on top of his amp while we were playing. In between two songs I was talking to the audience and when I looked back he was standing with his back to the audience chowing down. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he looked like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Really funny shit.

So all that remains is for you to go check these guys out using any of the myriad of links below!
AKILLYA Website
Twitter
Facebook
You Tube
Reverbnation
Sound Cloud
Band Camp

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?
    LaCie 5 big Network v.2 10TB 2 x Gigabit Ethernet RAID Professional 5-Bay Network Attached Storage 301525U

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such wonderful info being shared freely out there.
    Sorel Women's Cate The Great Boot

    ReplyDelete